My favorite place


Soaking in the beauty of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

On to my favorite place.  It may be my favorite place in the world so far- and I can honestly say that my life experience has given me some basis for comparison.  We drove across eastern Nova Scotia, and on to Cape Breton Island.  Up the right, southern side, overnight in Sydney.  Then down we went through the center, and up, over and around Cape Breton National Park.


We had no idea what we were in for - such overwhelming beauty


And we didn't know bout this - turns out world famous doesn't reach small town Indiana!


We ooh-ed and ahh-ed our way up the southern (right hand on the map) side.  We laughed with delight as we drove over one of those snow-covered peaks, and the snow blew and we met a snow plow.


Snow, mountains and ocean.  So entirely cool.


The mountainsides looked painted



 
Glad the 80 is KPH not MPH



We stayed overnight in an empty national park campground about halfway around the park.  (Where we met a local couple out for a hike who told us they traveled in our little white turtlevan's cousin!)  Our morning was quiet, peaceful, and we watched the earliest-east sunrise we had ever seen on this continent.



The morning view from our campsite


A morning walk along MacKenzie's Brook before we left


We made our way around the northern side, coming back down out of the park.  We found huge rocks tumbled into the sea and foamy, lacy waves crashing and roaring.  Mountains and cliffs and beaches made entirely of dark, round stones.  I fell in love with a place.  It was pure, holy privilege to be there.  Seeing it. Hearing it.  Smelling it.  Feeling it.

Jerry the Wheel said I couldn't stay there forever, that I had to come home with him.  It was touch and go there for a few minutes.

No more words.  I'm indulging myself by posting more photos than I should from Cape Breton.  They are really just for me, but if you enjoy them, that's really good.  Because it's my favorite place in the world.  So far.




















































p.s.  I didn't mess with the colors.  They just came out this way.  I'm pretty sure we had slightly less difference in our hues and light throughout the day.  :-)



Comments

  1. Wow!! Such an amazing trip you are having. Thank you for sharing so many beautiful pictures in posting. But I must say, amongst all the start raw beauty of the mountains and ocean and crashing waves ... one of my favorite pictures is the one of the beach stones where the relentless water has taken off all the sharp craggy edges and worm them smooth and beautiful. Makes me think I need to go lay on that beach for say ... what, the next 50 years. Maybe I would come out so beautifully sculptured. Unfortunately, I don't have 50 years to spare, so I'll have find another way to knock off my rough edges. :-))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment