Wishing and dreaming...

Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying
Planning and dreaming each night of his charms...
                                                                               (Dusty Springfield)


Essi dreaming in the wish book
 
 We have a wish book in our house.  Mostly it's my wish book, but my beloved thinks the wishes look pretty good.  Some of the wishes are decades old, some are more recent.  They are only big wishes.  Not things I can manage by dipping into my discretionary fund and ordering lickety-split from Amazon or Etsy.  Not goals, not priorities, not markers to help figure out the direction of my life.*  They are wishes, and they are fun.  My happiness, my contentment won't be diminished if none of these wishes come true.  My quality of life will not be improved if some or all of the wishes do come true.  We have a very, very good life.

pool wish page in the wish book
But wishes?  They're just fun.  And my wish book is about dreaming maybe and what if.  The pool?  The I'm-so-grateful-for-such-a-blessing pool we put in a couple years ago?  That was one of the wishes.  I've wished for a pool for over fifty years.  That was a big one.  And the reality is better than the wish.  Speak French?  That's one of them.  So far, the wish and my motivation and my willingness to work at it haven't become a fabric, so that is still a wish.

 
Because a big wish has recently come true, I've been distracted from Essi and this blog and writing and sharing here.  I'm sorry about that.  But I'm pretty sure it will be worth the wait once I tell you about the amazing Wish. That. Came. True!  But I won't today.  I'll just tell you that the wish is nearly forty years old, that it is so very exciting to me, and that it is taking time and thought and some hands-on work to get it just right.  As with most everything in my life, there is a story to tell about how the wish grew to be real.  And I'll say that my gratitude is without boundaries.  There you go - see you next time!

*The important things that direct my life are greater and more important than wishes.  Most of them have to do with my faith life, and my response to my beliefs.  Because I believe that Jesus was a real man, who was fully man and fully God... that He selflessly came to allow us a path to God for always... and that I am loved and forgiven in spite of myself... most of the things that direct my life are rooted in gratitude and love for my Savior and my Lord.  Those aren't wishes.  He's provided me a way to God.  Yes, I want to be in His presence.  God is love, God is peace, God is smart, God is present.  Those are really good things.  They're mine to claim, they aren't wishes.


 

Comments